Monday, July 7, 2008

Tanabata yo

I love festivals, especially ones from Japan, 'cause I LOVE Japanese culture!

Not to say that I don't appreciate my own culture. I love every cultures. They have their own stories and own specialty. Well for today, July 7th it is the Tanabana festival!


It celebrates the meeting of Orihime (Vega) and Hikoboshi (Altair). The Milky Way, a river made from stars that crosses the sky, separates these lovers, and they are allowed to meet only once a year on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month of the lunisolar calendar. Since the stars come out at night, the celebration is held at night.

Familiar? It's the same story of 牛郎(niu lang) and 织女(zhi nv) la! The sad love story of a young cowherd and a weaver girl, a goddess. You can find out the story here.

As for Tanabata, you can find the information all here.

I'm don't really know much about this festival, but I do know:

In present-day Japan, people generally celebrate this day by writing wishes, sometimes in the form of poetry, on tanzaku (短冊, tanzaku), small pieces of paper, and hanging them on bamboo, sometimes with other decorations. The bamboo and decorations are often set afloat on a river or burned after the festival, around midnight or on the next day.

- source by Wikipedia.


Which I did, hang wishes on it. =D

Bamboo

But of course, I can't burn the bamboo or set them afloat la. My mum will kill me for killing her bamboo. I wrote a few wishes... So did my classmates 'cause I asked them to join along.. Hey making wishes are always fun. =D

And I'll just leave the wishes there until next year, where it can be replaced with new wishes! =D

Wishes...

Have you make your wish yet? =D

Happy Tanabata everyone!!

Love,

KEI


P/S: Sometimes I really feel like I cannot continue anymore.







Emo me.





2 comments:

kim-chan said...

Tanabata no hi wa itsu? kinou datta no?! O_O jya...if i do now still can? LOL

kurokei said...

LOL kinou datta! but I saw wikipedia say it's 7th August also. XD Not sure which date 1 la LOL

 
design by suckmylolly.com